Select a different movie from the list
Submit your selection to your facilitator for approval.
Watch your selected movie, noting its lighting, sound, and editing.
Write a 700- to 850-word word paper in which you explain what, in your opinion, is the director’s intended main point (or purpose) of the movie. Support your position with examples drawn from:
• Various types of lighting, including color and black and white; natural and artificial, and stage, set, and interior.
• Various types of sound made by people and objects, including ambient, visible, and invisible sound; background music and musical scoring; and language, and dialogue.
• Various strategies of editing, in particular how and why the editing conveys the director’s interpretation of the narrative, and is consistent with the film style as a whole.
How, when, and where do they contribute emotionally – e.g., establish overall mood, foreshadow events, aid characterization, and build dramatic tension? How are they employed atmospherically to reflect the director’s intended main point?
PLEASE CHOOSE FROM THIS LIST
1. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
2. Basic Instinct (1992)
3. Schindler’s List (1993)
4. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
5. The Matrix (1999)