Assignment 1: Discussion—Use and Misuse of Percentages
In this assignment, you will identify the uses and misuses of information presented in the form of percentages. Some examples have been provided in the lectures for this module. Search the Internet to find more examples. These can be examples of percentages used in advertising claims, reported results from a study, or information shared by a government agency.
First, search for one of the following types of usage of percentages:
- Use of percentages as a fraction: This will be the use of the word ofto imply multiplication. Was it an effective way to represent the information in the context of the example you found?
- Use of percentages to describe change:In the example you found, determine whether the reported percentage demonstrated absolute or relative change. Show how you calculated this. Explain whether this was an effective way to represent this information.
- Use of percentages for comparison: In the example you found, determine if the reported percentage demonstrated absolute or relative change. Show your calculation. How effective was this way of representing the information?
Next, find an example of one of the following misuses of percentages:
- Use of a shifting reference value: In this situation, the base values are changed as differing values of percentages are applied as increases, decreases, or both. Remember that percentage increases, decreases, or both do not have a cumulative effect. Be sure to demonstrate why your example fits this category.
- Use of percentage to represent less than nothing:Look for an example where you notice a reduction of some percentage greater than 100. Demonstrate why your example fits this category.
- Situation where the average percentage is reported: In general, you cannot average percentages. The result is not representative of what actually has occurred in the situation in question. Demonstrate why your example fits this category.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 200 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.