he past twenty years have seen advancements in technology that were critical to further understanding concepts in cognitive psychology. Two such developments are positron emission tomography (PET) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans. These scans allow researchers to “see” the brain in action.
Research how brain scans can diagnose injury and disease using the Internet and the Argosy University online library resources. Based on your research, answer the following questions:
- How do PET and MRI work?
- If you were showing a person words while having an MRI, what brain areas would probably be active?
- If a brain injury victim is unable to move the right arm, in which area of the brain would an MRI scan most likely reveal damage?
- What kind of scan do you think would be best in diagnosing Alzheimer’s disease?
- How do the research tools (equipment and methodology) available today contribute to a greater understanding of “conscious processes and immediate experience” than was possible using trained introspection and structuralism?
PETs and MRIs also can diagnose head injuries. Consider the following scenario:
You are working at a Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital and meet with Allison. Allison is in the US Army and has just returned home from a deployment. During her deployment, a bomb was thrown into a vehicle in which she was riding. She was not severely injured but was told that she sustained a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Respond to the following:
- Define TBI for Allison.
- Describe any symptoms that Allison might experience.
- How do you think the army should deal with these injuries? For example, if Allison is not obviously physically impaired, should she be discharged and receive disability pay? Should she be redeployed? If Allison stays in the army, what kinds of jobs do you think she should not perform?
Write your initial response in 4–5 paragraphs. Apply APA standards to citation of sources
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.