Media Industries – Case Study Project Guidance Notes
In this project you are asked to undertake a case study relating to one area of the media industries. You should propose a focus and specific question to which you will respond in your chosen case study, based upon the issues covered in the unit. Your focus and project question should be agreed with your seminar tutor in advance (at project meetings – you need will need to arrange a meeting. Further details will be provided within your seminars).
Media Industries – Case Study Proposal Form
Case Study Question:
How has digitisation and technological convergence affected the distribution of newspaper?
Explain what is digitisation and technological convergence
What kind of effects has digitisation and technological convergence brought to the distribution of newspaper? Implications
e.g. ‘journalists are using networks such as Twitter as effective means of both responding to unfolding events and calling for others to act to help improve coverage’
Indication of sources:
In approaching the assessment then, you should first decide upon a characteristic element or issue relevant to the media/cultural industries (as covered on the unit)
• Concentrations of ownership and their effects (‘synergy’, implications for democracy and the public sphere)
• The nature of creative work and autonomy in the media industries
• Policy and regulation
• Formatting (‘stars’, genres, serials)
• And so on…
Next you should consider how you might relate this to either:
• one sector of the media industries (i.e., film, television, newspapers, advertising, music, magazine publishing, video/digital games)
• or a sub-sector of that sector (e.g., TV Drama, women’s lifestyle magazines, dance music)
• or even a particular brand, genre or franchise (e.g. Harry Potter, The X-Factor)
It might be a good idea to focus upon an aspect of the media industries in which you already have an interest and some background knowledge.
Proposing a question in relation to your chosen area of focus
Rather than simply writing in a general way about your chosen area of interest (e.g., music) in relation to, for instance, copyright, you should propose a specific question which you will try to answer in the course of your work.
Some example questions might be:
• How has digitisation and technological convergence affected the distribution of film (or advertising/television/music/newspapers)?
• What are the effects of concentrations in ownership for British newspapers journalism?
• How have changes in media policy and regulation affected developments in the television industry?
• How has a programme like The X-Factor taken advantage of challenges facing the music industry?
You should frame your discussion with reference to relevant academic literature, with sources drawn from outside the module reading. Your work should also contain a balance between theoretical ideas (e.g. on conglomeration, commodification, etc.) and examples and information drawn from your specific case study.
Once you have decided upon your question, complete the project proposal form and bring this along to the meeting with your seminar tutor in late November/early December.
The following guidelines will apply:
Projects should be written in essay format, conform to the usual University academic standards, with full referencing of material and a complete bibliography of all sources cited. You will also be expected to analyse primary and secondary sources, and provide evidence of these sources (e.g. newspaper articles, websites, academic literature) in the appendices of the project.
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.