School of Engineering and Design Year 2012-13
Coursework Title: Engineering Drawing with AutoCAD
• To support the development of a robust methodology to civil engineering problem solving using reflective practice; particularly in recognising the need to balance the demands of the various stakeholders within the construction design process.
• To give you practice and experience in the planning and detailing of civil engineering drawings using AutoCAD with emphasis on efficiency; and
• To provide you with practical knowledge and experience in the arrangement and presentation of drawings to industry standards based on precision and accuracy.
Brief Description of the Assessment
• Use AutoCAD to draw a SCALED SECTION of a typical concrete structure (foundation, ground and first floor only) using the digital design drawings in Appendix A for guidance purposes only.
• Insert your drawing in a well designed A4/A3 Title Block which records the scale of the drawing
• Present your drawing in a professional way using consistent styles; and
• Save your drawing, including the title block, in a DWG file and plot your drawing to a PDF file.
Learning Outcomes for the Assessment
By the end of this assignment, you will
• Have acquired a clear understanding of the key role that drawings play within the construction design process, together with value that CAD can play in this process. Have developed your own methods for producing construction drawings using CAD
• Be able to establish and co-ordinate the drawing requirements of small projects using CAD references
• Be able to consistently annotate drawings using a style based approached, which can be applied across the project.
• Be able to present your drawing in a Title Block with features designed by yourself (Do Not use a Standard Template). Your Title Block should, at least, include a number of boxes for the following information:
o Drawing title and Revision
o Student Name and Course
o Appropriate Guidance notes
• Be able to present your drawing in a professional way with AutoCAD; and
Be able to plot your drawing with appropriate scale by considering the various needs of the primary end users.
Assessment and marking criteria
Your submission will be assessed with respect to
(1) Accurate assembly of the section view and reinforcement details
(2) Usage of AutoCAD commands, dimensions, lines, linetypes, etc.
Dimension building elements appropriately and correctly by considering the work will be printed out on a single sheet of paper;
(3) Your documented understanding of how to approach this challenge to ensure a drawing appropriate for construction purposes (20%)
(4) Presentation in a clear and professional way, including all necessary dimensions, datums, levels and symbols. (20%)
Methods & Tasks:
You will submit:-
(1) A Scaled section suitable for inclusion in a General Arrangement drawing through the building (foundation, ground and first floor only) using the example drawings illustrated in Appendix A (for guidance purposes). This needs to be created using AutoCAD 2013 using precision and accuracy resulting in a well co-ordinated and clearly detailed drawing. Appendix B provides you with the appropriate grid dimensions.
(a) Insert your drawing into the Title Block which you designed and save your work in a DWG format file
(b) Provide a clear and accurate scaled PDF File
(2) A Scaled Section/Elevation showing typical Ground Beam Reinforcement using the example drawings illustrated in Appendix A for guidance purposes. This reinforcement drawing should clearing indicate bar referencing and guidance. Appendix B provides you with the appropriate grid dimensions. Appendix C provides Detailing guidance.
(c) Insert your drawing into the Title Block which you designed and save your work in a DWG format file
(d) Provide a clear and accurate scaled PDF File.
(3) A brief written statement of how you approached and managed the project to ensure the efficient delivery of a co-ordinated drawing using the capabilities of the software
(less than 300 words on a sheet of A4 paper). Submit in Microsoft word format.
APPENDIX A: Supporting Digital Drawings