IS 430 – PM 430 – QUIZ TWO – COVERS CHAPTERS 4, 5, AND 6 IN TEXT
This is the second of five quizzes associated with this class. Each quiz may be taken up to three times to try and earn a better grade. Quizzes that earn an A will be closed – that is, if you earn an A the first or the second time, you won’t get a second or third chance to take that particular quiz. If you take any particular quiz more than once, I will count only the highest score towards your total point score for the class, and will drop any lower grades for that quiz. Answers to the quizzes may be posted on COL by submitting a Word document with your answers included. Once a completed quiz has been submitted, you may “resubmit” the second and third attempts in the same assignment on COL.
Take the quizzes at any time, using any resources available – open book, Internet searches, etc., are all allowed. You have until the last regular day of class to take these quizzes. No quizzes may be taken after that point in time, and any quizzes not taken at that point will receive a grade of zero points.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
- What is a “single-line-of-command” organization? Why would employees used to such an organizational structure find it difficult to work with more than one boss at a time, as they would if they were reporting to both a project manager and a line manager at the same time?
- Jim is a project manager for a project that requires twelve months to be completed. During the 7th, 8th, and 9th months, he needs two team members with special qualifications. The functional manager associated with these team members has promised that these people will be available two months before they are needed on the project. If Jim doesn’t assign them to his project at that time, they will be assigned elsewhere and Jim will have to make do with whoever is available later on. What should Jim do? Make any assumptions necessary to support your answer.
- Imagine that you are a project engineer on a high-technology project. As your project begins to wind down, the project manager asks you to write a paper about the project so he can present it at a technical meeting. His name goes first on the paper credits. Should this be a part of your job? How do you feel about this situation?
- As a project nears completion, the project manager may find that the functional people on the project are more interested in finding a new role for themselves than in giving their best effort to the current task. How does this relate to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, and what should the project manager do?
- Your company just hired a senior manager with two masters degrees in engineering. This engineer is quite competent, and has worked well as a loner for the past twenty years. He has just been assigned to the Research and Development phase of your project. You, as project manager, must insure that he works well as a team member with other functional employees, and not as a loner. How will you accomplish this? If this engineer persists in wanting to be a loner, should you fire him?
- Last month, Alice completed an assignment as chief project engineer on Project X. It was a great assignment; Alice and all other project personnel were kept fully informed by the project manager about all project activities. Alice is now working for a new project manager who tells his staff only what they have to know in order to get their job done. What can Alice do about this situation? Can this be a good situation? Why or why not? Which management style would you prefer?
- Is it possible for a project manager to improve his time management skills by understanding what motivates his team? Why or why not?
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.